Shri Suresh Prabhu has earned a Commerce Honours and a degree in Law from Mumbai University. He is a qualified Chartered Accountant and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He owned a CA firm before joining politics in March 1996.
In his professional journey, he has been an accomplished Chartered Accountant, Banker, Educationist, Social Worker and a Politician. He was formerly the Chairman and then the Director of Saraswat Bank, one of the largest urban co-operative Banks in India.
He was appointed as the Chairman of Maharashtra State Finance Commission in 1995 and was in position for the next one year.
Shri Prabhu has also published various papers on variety of subjects in economics, sociology and taxation. He has been actively involved with a large number of socila and cultural organizations in the field of education, art and literature, theatre, medicine and sports.
- Director, Saraswat Co-operation Bank. (former Chairman)
- Actional Co-operative Union of India
- Chairman, Manav Sadhan Vikas Sansthan, an NGO
- Chairman, Konkan Kala academy
- Vice-Chairman, Trustee, Mumbai Marathi Granth Sangrahalaya
- Chairman, Adult Education Institute
- Chairrnan, Maharastra State Table Tennis Academy
- Trustee, Khar Residents Association
- Trustee, Manavendra Charitable hospital
- Trustee, IFFCO Foundation
- Vice-President, Table Tennis Fedaration of India
- "Students' Unrest" at Bajaj Institute of Management, Mumbai
- "Causes and Consequences of Mass Unemployment of Youths"at the Central Committee for International Voluntary Services (CCIVS), UNESCO, Paris
- "Problems of Youth in Third World Countries"at CCIVS, Monrovia (Liberia)
- "North-South Co-operation",paper read at an international seminar at New Delhi on behalf of Bharat Sevak Samaj
- "Contribution of NGO's Towards Peace" -Asian Youth Seminar, New Delhi
- Has published several columns on finance and economy in the daily "Mid Day" as well as articles in leading Marathi dailies
- He has written extensively on socio-economic issues
International Activities Before Becoming a Minister
- Treasurer of Confederation of UNESCO Clubs and Associations
- Office bearer of Central committee for International Voluntary Services (CCIVS, UNESCO), one of the biggest NGO having members in 110 countries and headquarter in Paris
- Secretary of International Study and Service Exchange
- Attended the CCIVS general assembly and conference in France in 1983
- Attended the third world Congress of the World Federation of UNESCO Clubs and Associations in Tokyo, in Japan in 1984
- Attended the Executive Committee meeting of CCIVS as Weimer, GDR in 1985
- Visited Czeckoslovakia on the invitation of SSM
- Winner of the UNESCO fellowship. Visited Africa in that connection to study the problems of youth in developing countries
- Has visited over 100 countries in Europe, Latin America, North America, Africa, Asia and Pacific.